SEASCAPES West Coast Tour
These short roadtrips are designed to allow photographers the luxury to spend quality time improving their pictures. In this genre of photography, being in the right place at the right time with the right lighting conditions is crucial. We take care of planning the tides and sunrise times to allow you the freedom to relax and concentrate on making great images.
n 3 DAY ROADTRIP West Coast
DATES: 3 Days, 2 Nights. Check the calendar below for available dates.
ACCOMMODATION: Carters Beach Holiday Park or Omau Settlers Lodge at Cape Foulwind...
TIME: 3 full days. NUMBERS: Trip can only run with a minimum of 3 participants. Bring a partner!
You will be collected from your Nelson lodgings and escorted down the rugged Buller Gorge highway to Westport, with appropriate photo opps along the way. Denniston is a worthwhile detour. During the golden hour we will be on the Coast shooting the sun sinking into the Tasman - magical!
The morning will be spent on the Cape Foulwind Walkway with a visit to a seal colony. During the afternoon we will meander down the Coast Road to our lodge at Punakaiki. A nearby walk to a secluded cove will provide stunning vistas.
2-3 hours at a spectacular beach will allow ample time to practise new-found skills & capture the evening light reflected in rock pools.
After pancakes at the famous Pancake Rocks we begin the return journey to Nelson via Greymouth.
n WHAT'S INCLUDED
1. Transport: From your hotel / home in Nelson to the West Coast and back (Approx 3 hrs drive).
2. Accommodation: Comfortable units or rustic Backpacker option will be available.
3. Guide: Your guide will take you to the best nooks and crannies of the Coast, off the tourist radar. Our exact destinations lie at the mercy of the tides, the moon, the sun and the weather!
n WHAT TO BRING
1. Camera: DSLR or compact 'point & shoot' cameras are okay, especially if they have Aperture & Shutter Priority modes. If in doubt, email us.
2. Lenses (if it's a DSLR)
3. Tripod (mandatory)
4. Spare batteries, and charger
5. Memory cards
6. Money for food, drinks & nibbles.
7. Daypack (for camera, clothes & nibbles)
8. Suitable footwear (for sandy beaches)
9. Sleeping bag & overnight gear, etc.
10. Headtorch (we'll be out after dark).
An additional 1-2 days can be booked to extend the tour. This allows for fickle weather, or to visit the spectacular arches of the Oparara Basin. Or NZ's best walkway at Charming Creek
We can liaise with local tour operators to fit in with our photographic agenda. Horse-riding, jetboat tours, Shantytown - all worthwhile detours.